Elklan: A training course for staff (Schools in Central Bedfordshire Council)
Launching in Autumn 2020, the ‘Communication Champion team’ consists of a SENCo, Teacher and Teaching Assistant. They will have enhanced knowledge of / specialist interest in speech, language and communication needs (SLCN), and are ideally placed to promote speech, language and communication within their school to benefit ALL pupils.
Every school in Central Bedfordshire has an opportunity to identify up to three* members of staff to attend a Talking Success course and create their own Communication Champion team.
* For middle schools, we recommend they create a communication champion team of four members of staff, with two attending the 5-11s (primary) course and two attending the 11-16s (secondary) course. All other schools should create a communication champion team of three members of staff, and attend the appropriate training course.
The training is written for staff supporting children and young people with SLCN in schools. It equips them with innovative tools and methods to enhance children and young people’s (CYP) learning in the classroom and promotes quality first teaching. The training uses relevant teaching methods including practical activities, videos and group discussion to engage learners.
The training commences in Autumn 2020 in a virtual manner. The communication champion team from each school will attend 10 interactive modules online, one per week in the learner’s own time, as well as 10 weekly webinars. In addition, the learners will complete a Learning Log in order to gain accreditation at Level 2 or Level 3.
By attending this course we hope you will:
- Increase your capacity to identify and support CYP with SLCN
- Strengthen your understanding of the impact of Speech, Language and Communication difficulties on CYP
- Be able to identify CYP with Speech, Language and Communication difficulties confidently refer these pupils for additional support
- Understand and be able to implement strategies at a universal and targeted level to support CYP with Speech, Language and Communication difficulties
- Understand the development of English as an Additional Language and how best to support this in the classroom
Cost: FREE for schools in Central Bedfordshire
To book a place:
This link will take you to the Learning Management System (LMS) log in page. If you do not yet have an account, you can click on register and create your free account. Once logged in, please type ‘Elklan’ into the search bar and this will take you to the programme information and booking page.