How to Refer

Pre-School age and younger


If your child is in pre-school or younger and you are worried about their speech, language and communication development you can complete a Pre-School Referral Form.

If you live in Bedford Borough or Central Bedfordshire and you would prefer an informal discussion about your child’s progress, you can request a 15 minute Early Advice Session via video or telephone call. During the session a therapist will talk through your concerns with you and can then make decisions together about what happens next. You can check if an Early Advice Session is suitable for your child and request an appointment by completing this form.

If you live in Luton and you would prefer an informal discussion about your child’s progress, please contact your Health Visitor or speak with your child’s nursery/preschool.


We suggest referring to the Early Years pre-referral pathways for Luton and/or Bedfordshire to seek the options available prior to referral for your child/children in your care.

Beds Pre-Referral Pathway and information
Luton Pre-Referral Pathway

To help guide your decision making in where to signpost families, please look at the Bedfordshire or Luton referral guidance for professionals documents.

Bedfordshire Referral Guidance for Professionals – Early Years
Luton Referral Guidance for Professionals – Early Years

If you are a professional wanting to refer a child to our service please complete pre-school referral form for settings.

School age children and young people

Children who are school aged will require a School Age Referral Form SLT to be completed.

Please note the referral form has been updated. Please ensure you are using the version above.
School teaching staff are in the best position, along with parents / carers, to provide the required information about a child’s speech and language skills, their difficulties and the potential impact these are having on the child’s social interaction and their ability to access the curriculum.  School education staff can also provide information about what has already been implemented to support the child. Using this information we can then ensure that the children who require specialist Speech and Language Therapy support can access the service for an assessment. As a service we therefore will only accept referrals for school age children from their school.
Please note for home-schooled children or young people not in education, employment or training the school-age referral form can be completed by their parent / carer or a professional / appropriate adult who is working with the child or young person.
School education staff may find it useful to gather further information on the child’s skills and needs, to inform referrals and offer initial support, by using the local Speech, Language and Communication Toolkit for Schools.

Transfers in

For children who have been receiving Speech and Language Therapy support and have recently moved into Luton or Bedfordshire, the previous Speech and Language  Therapy service discharge report can be sent to the Single Point of Access team.  This can then be triaged alongside new referrals.  If further information is required this will be requested.

Referral Forms

School Age Referral Form
Pre-School Parent/Carer Form
Pre-school Setting Form
Speech sounds screening tool
Dysphagia Referral Form