What is a Language Provision?

A Language Provision provides specialist speech and language support for pupils who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) which identifies Speech and Language Difficulties/Disorders as their primary area of need. Common diagnoses for children accessing the provision may include Developmental Language Disorder (DLD) and Childhood Apraxia of Speech (CAS)/Developmental Verbal Dyspraxia (DVD).

Language Provision places are not suitable for children where the primary difficulty/diagnosis is hearing impairment, autism spectrum disorder, SEMH difficulties, behavioural difficulties or learning difficulties/cognitive impairment. Other specialist provisions are available across the county for supporting children who have these difficulties.


Where are the Language Provisions?

There are currently two Language Provisions, both of which are within Central Bedfordshire. They are located at:

  • Heathwood Lower School (Leighton Buzzard)
  • St Andrew’s C of E VC Lower School (Biggleswade)

Both Language Provisions offer places for children from Reception class up to the end of Year 4. There are currently no Language Provisions within the county to provide support for children beyond Year 4.


What support does a child receive?

Each Language Provision can take up to 8 children. As part of the Language Prrovision children will be fully integrated into the mainstream school environment but will also receive regular intervention from a Speech and Language Therapist and daily support from the Language Provision Teaching Assistants. The Language Provisions provide a facility that is well resourced with specialist materials and equipment for supporting Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN).


How can my child access a Language Provision placement?

A child needs to have an EHC plan in place to be eligible for a Language Provision placement. The EHC plan needs to specify that the speech/language difficulty is the primary area of need. Once an EHC is at the draft stage, parents/carers can name one of the Language Provision schools as their preferred placement. The SEND team will then contact the Language Provisions to see if a placement if available.

Often, the SENCo of the Language Provision will liaise with the Speech and Language Therapist to determine whether a child is appropriate for a place in the Language Provision.

We recommend discussing Language Provisions as early as possible with your Speech and Language Therapist if you think that this is something that would be suitable for your child.


Can I visit the Language Provisions?

Yes, if you wish to visit either of the schools with Language Provisions, you can contact those schools directly to arrange a visit.