Communication Champion: 0-19 team and Children’s Centre staff (Bedford Borough and Central Bedfordshire only)
Communication Champion Role:
A Communication Champion will be the link practitioner for colleagues within your team with regards to Speech, Language and Communication (SLC) as the ever-growing need of children with SLC continues.
Communication Champions in the 0-19 team and Children’s Centre also take the lead on running the ChatterTots programme.
Skills of a Champion:
- Be passionate about the importance of children’s communication and language and recognise how communication is a fundamental lifelong skill for learning.
- Have attended Talk for All, two-day course or virtual course run by Bedfordshire Speech and Language Therapy Service.
- Attend half termly supervision/study groups to keep skills up to date (Communication Champion Forums).
Role of Champion:
- Ensure parents are aware of any local support or information, i.e., contribute to the parent information board
- Support colleagues in their knowledge and give relevant information. Be available and willing to answer queries.
- Have up to date knowledge of SLC. Maintain own CPD by attending half termly Communication Champion Forums, keeping up to date with new training and reading.
- Highlight any training needs for self and/or other staff members to management.
- Ensure a focus on communication in locality team meetings
- Develop activities/strategies to enhance children’s Communication and Language.
- Ensure a best practice approach with all staff in the locality in supporting children’s communication skills.
- Ensure the family environment supports growth of children’s Communication and Language
- Refer children to Speech and Language Therapy in a timely manner as appropriate.
- Ensure liaison with outside agencies where appropriate, e.g., Inclusion Officers, Speech and Language Therapist, Audiology etc.
What Champions should know:
- How many children in their locality have Speech and Language needs or are accessing advice from communication champions
- What resources the 0-19 service or Children’s Centre has that specifically support children’s Communication and Language
- How the needs of individual children with SLC needs are being met
- If staff are confident in their practice around Communication and Language
- Who to liaise with and how and where to get support.
To find out more about developing a Communication Champion in your team, the training available and dates of Communication Champion Forums, contact firstname.lastname@example.org